Thursday, June 29, 2006

Good Insignificance!!!!

“Amrya… You feel insignificant re there”….
This is what a friend of mine told me when we were talking about Mumbai.
It was a Thursday, a weekday when I went to Mumbai. It was hot and humid. I had a rendezvous with some friends of mine there.
I will just quickly outline some places and matter I encountered in Mumbai in the short stay of around 8 hours…

Dadar….VT…Church Gate….Fashion Street…Bargaining…Azad Maidan…Red Flag…Taxi… Marine Drive… Queens Necklace… BCCI…Local…..




Queen's Necklace

Well these just a few things I remember right now.
Usually when a person walks around in scorching heat and humidity greater than 50% he sweats likes a fish and is uncomfortable.
I did sweat but wasn't really uncomfortable.
Let me try to explain why I wrote that first line in the blog.
The pace at which Mumbai moves is awesome. I don’t know how people manage to move that fast. Like living in a matrix. Everything is programmed. I also had the first hand experience of the crowded local train. You need not have to push around to get down. Just stand in the queue of the passengers getting down at say Dadar and you will automatically get down the train. It is that simple.
Mumbai is a dangerous place is what everyone like to say, well for me it was a myth. I went to the marine drive and sat on the sea shore there watching the Mumbai traffic moving and trying to make sense. You look around and you are totally lost. There is a sea on one end of where I am sitting; the Arabian Sea and on the other side is the Mumbai sea; the sea of big and small cars, busses zooming around from all direction. The traffic never came to a halt. I sat there marveled by the pace; marveled by the gigantic seas. One full of water another full of people and cars and poor me am sitting in the middle of these two as if stranded in an island nowhere to go. Generally one must feel sad about this situation, but interestingly I liked this feeling. I liked being insignificant. As my friend put it, “I love being insignificant. It gives me a feeling that I can be better than what I am right now. I work harder!!!”
I could make sense of the first statement of this blog only when I felt insignificant and why my friend was so jubilant when she made that statement.
Mumbai for me for now… Rocks!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Mumbai rocks and the pace of life there is exhilarating…

I went on a Mumbai goa trip once in 2nd year and opposite to my family I liked Mumbai than Goa….

Don’t know the exact reason but I guess it was that in Mumbai there was a lot to dream about…

This is only another way to say that u feel that you can be better and work harder to be more significant…

seeing the sky kissing buildings was a high for me..

u also get the same kind of rush, the traffic, the pace in cities like Delhi but it is not the same as Mumbai.. u certainly feel different there..