Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pan Wala

March 5th 2006…
Arif had come from banglore. So we decided to roam around play pool and then watch a movie. We went to watch Taxi No. 9.2.11. It was a 6-9 show. We were three of us; Arif, Anshu and me. So after watching the movie we decided to shop a bit and go to dinner. I suggested we go to Hotel Green. So we went there. First something about the Hotel. Hotel Green was a studio before named Premier Studio. This was the studio where the TV Soap “The Sword of Tippu Sultan” was shot. After a fire incident in which the producer Sanjay Khan also suffered severe burns; this Studio was converted into a Hotel. Okay lets get back to the mainstream. So we three sat and ordered for the food. It was already 10:20PM. I love pan (Beda). So I decided to get pans for all three of us. There is a pan shop in the hotel premises itself. So I went to this Pan Wala and asked him to make three pans. He said, that the pan chatni which gives the typical taste to pan is over and hence he cant make it. I said, I have to eat pan and so asked to make pan without the chatni.
So I am standing there and waiting for him to make the pans. He had the radio switched on and it was playing great Hindustani music. I love Hindustani music. It has always happened that I go to this shop and always Hindustani music is being played. So I commented on this. He said he is also a classical artist. I wasn’t really sure what to make of it. Suddenly he opened a container and out came the most beautiful flute I have seen in such close vicinity. It was a marvelous experience. I was elated to see the flute. It was a beauty. I asked him whether I can touch it. He obliged. My hands were shaking when I took that flute in hand. I handed it back as soon as possible. I was afraid I might spoil the beauty of the flute. The pan wala then played a piece for me. Even though it was not a great piece but surely it took me to cloud no 9.
Then we talked for 10 minutes more and one more surprise was waiting. The pan wala was from Orissa but knew kannada very well. He had studied in Gadag!!! Best part he had studied in Sawai Gandharwa Aashram…. I was startled. The pan wala had leant flute in the aashram where the likes of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Gangubai Hangal have learned there ABC of music.
I thanked him for the pan and went back to my dinner.
It was a great experience I had. So much of music is filled in nuke and corner of India. Just we need people to appreciate it. I will try my level best to do it.
I slept the most sound sleep in last 6 months that day!!!! Thanks to the Pan Wala!!!

No comments: